Kosovo Agency for Environmental Protection (KEPA) is a government institution which is committed to maintain the quality of air, water, soil and biodiversity through integrated environmental monitoring, efficient environmental information system and continuous reporting on the state of the environment. to promote the use of renewable energy sources and the sustainable use of natural resources in order to provide a healthy environment for present and future generations in line with the progress of economic and social developments.
Effective environmental monitoring, information and reporting, for a healthy environment and sustainable economic growth.
In the framework of completing the institutional infrastructure and increasing the effectiveness and results in environmental protection, MESP has been strengthened with a very important and promising Institution, Kosovo Agency for Environmental Protection (KEPA) which is expected to fill the existing gaps in the cycle. general environmental management.
KEPA was established by the law on environmental protection (2003/9, article 39, point 1)
"... as an institution within the MESP, to perform administrative, professional, scientific and research support work in the field of environmental protection, nature protected areas, biological diversity ...".
Initially, the organization of the Agency was done with Administrative Instruction no. Rendor 25, no. Protocol 22/03.
On 06.06.2006 KELP was appointed Chief Executive Officer.
With the decision of the Minister of the Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning no. Rendor 03/07, no. Protocol 38 dated 05.06.2006, KEPA is operational and staff is staffed with adequate staff.
The staff was taken over by MESP, making internal mobility of staff in accordance with Regulation no. 2001/19 On the Executive Branch of the Institutions of Self-Government of Kosovo.
However, due to certain problems and administrative, financial, personnel, etc. obstacles, KEPA could start its full function only in June 2007.
LAW no. 03 / L-025 ON ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
CHAPTER VII ORGANIZATIONS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING
Article 59 Kosovo Environmental Protection Agency
1. In order to monitor the quality and properties of the environment, the Ministry establishes the Agency for Environmental Protection of Kosovo (hereinafter: KEPA).
2. The organizational structure and other responsibilities of KEPA are determined by sub-legal act.
Article 60 Duties of KEPA
1. The duties of KEPA are:
1.1. provide appropriate information to the administration, Government and Assembly of Kosovo on the implementation of environmental protection policies:
1.2. to develop and coordinate the unique information system for environmental protection related to the system of monitoring the state of the environment in Kosovo as well as to collect data on the environment;
1.3. to establish and maintain reference centers with databases for environmental monitoring (socio-economic data, environmental pressures, condition and quality of the environment);
1.4. develop procedures for processing the collected data on the environment and their evaluation (modeling, presentation and visual presentation);
1.5. to perform professional work in determining the content, methodology and manner of monitoring the state of the environment.
1.6. advance and compare the quality of environmental data;
1.7. compile reports on the general state of the environment in Kosovo, targets, as well as report on key sectors (air, soil, water, biodiversity, climate change);
1.8. compile reports on specific issues for environmental protection such as regions with increased radioactivity, environmental quality, health and the like;
1.9. performs advisory work on defining, maintaining and following up on environmental protection projects and programs;
1.10. assist administrative bodies in developing new forms of environmental protection policy and monitoring the implementation of environmental protection plans and programs;
1.11. to cooperate with the European Environment Agency - AEM which is part of the European Information and Observation Network - RREIV;
1.12. to cooperate with other international institutions and bodies for environmental protection;
1.13. provide access to all information on the environment of Kosovo according to EEM standards.
1.14. Interstate use and exchange of environmental data will be regulated by a special law.
2. KEPA also performs other tasks defined in the founding act that serve for the realization of the activity of KEPA defined in paragraph 1 of this article.
Article 45 Organizational structure of the Kosovo Environmental Protection Agency
1. The organizational structure of the Agency for Environmental Protection of Kosovo is as follows:
1.1.Office of the General Director;
1.2. Directorates / Institutes
2. Within the total number of employees in KEPA, are included 36 employees within the Directorate of Administration of DAPK "Cursed Mountains", who
receive salaries from the respective municipalities but have employment contracts with MESP / KEPA.
3. The number of employees in the Agency for Environmental Protection of Kosovo is one hundred and twelve (112).
Article 46 Office of the General Director
1. The Office of the General Director of the Kosovo Environmental Protection Agency consists of:
1.1. General Director;
1.2 One civil servant (1) of technical technical level.
2. The duties and responsibilities of the Chief Executive Officer for the Protection of the Environment of Kosovo are defined by the legislation in force.
3. Duties and responsibilities of the civil servant of the General Director are defined by the legislation on civil service in force.
4. All administrative services, including legal services, budget, finance, procurement, personnel, logistics, archive, etc., are obliged to the relevant departments of MESP, to provide special services KEPA upon request.
5. The number of employees in the Office of the General Director is two (2).
Article 47 Directorates and Sectors of the Kosovo Environmental Protection Agency
1. Directorates (equivalent Institutes) and Sectors of the Agency for Environmental Protection of Kosovo are:
2. Kosovo Institute for Nature Protection:
2.1. Sector for Protected Areas;
2.2. Sector for Biodiversity.
3. Kosovo Hydrometeorological Institute:
3.1. Sector for Meteorology and Climate;
3.2. Sector for Hydrology;
3.3. Air Monitoring Sector; AND
3.4.Water and Soil Quality Monitoring Sector.
4. Directorate for the Administration of the National Park "Sharri":
4.1. Sector for Professional and Administrative Services;
4.2. Sector for Supervision and Control.
5. Directorate for the Administration of the National Park "Cursed Mountains".
5.1. Sector for Professional and Administrative Services;
5.2. Sector for Supervision and Control.
6. Directorate for Environmental Assessment.
6.1. Sector for Environmental Assessment;
6.2. Sector for Environmental Information System; AND
6.3. Sector for Reporting, Information and Cooperation.
7. Directorate for the Administration of Natural Monuments of Special Importance.
7.1. Sector for the Natural Monument of Special Importance "Gadime Cave".
7.2. Sector for the Natural Monument of Special Importance "Mirusha Waterfalls"